Tuesday 3 April 2012

What I want to achieve from DPP…..

It took me 3 years to complete TAOP and by the time I came to the end of the course I was itching to move onto the next one. A couple of months after receiving my course materials I find myself having made little progress, I am currently extremely busy both at work and home which has impacted my studies, however, I fear I am re-treading old ground through procrastination and excuse making rather than simply getting on and doing some work.

At the end of TAOP I realised how difficult I had made the learning process and how much more productive I could have been. More importantly, I felt the work I submitted for assessment did not represent the journey I had been on during my time on the course - particularly my learning log. I did a lot of soul searching and recognised my triggers for not getting on with the work and started DPP with a strong sense of where I was going - and yet a couple of months in I am repeating the same mistakes: photographs taken for exercises but not written up, exhibitions visited and notes made but no finished write up, started assignment work without completing the exercises, notes on reading and looking at photographers work but again not written down. I could go on but the general theme is 'I start but do not finish.'

At this point therefore I feel it would be beneficial to review my aims for the course and to also set myself some ground rules. Hopefully this will achieve two things: my focus will be regained and I will get back on track and I will be able to look back at the end of the course and know if I have achieved what I set out to do.


  1. To complete the course within my target time scale of 12-18 months.
  2. To use my time effectively and work through the course notes in a planned and organised fashion.
  3. To publish my learning log as a blog which will also act as a way of exploring my thoughts on photography.
  4. To pursue personal projects and develop my photographic voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment