Monday 30 April 2012

'New York Times' Robert Frank article-February 2012

Link to the article: 'A Lonely Gaze on The Times and Its City' by Randy Kennedy, New York Times February 17th 2012


I came across this article on some recently rediscovered commercial photographs by Robert Frank via Twitter. Frank is not someone I associate with as a jobbing photographer such is his near mythical standing in photographic history, in fact Kennedy asserts in his article that his most famous work 'The Americans' (published just one year after this commission) went on "to change the course of photography."

The pictures were collected in a book titled "New York Is" which had the purpose of promoting the New York Times to potential advertisers. In the article Kennedy discusses how Frank was finding work hard to come by in the 10 years he had been in America and with a wife and family to provide for it is likely he was motivated by pragmatism to put food on the table. He asserts that although many of the shots are "arrestingly elegant" and typical of commercial work of the time others "snapped seemingly midstride; decidedly grainier and blurrier … defined by seas of inky black and oceans of shiny reflective surfaces – are unmistakably the work of only one man: Robert Frank."

In my view the images are interesting, but without the knowledge they are by Frank I am unsure whether they warrant more than a passing look. For me the beauty of 'The Americans' is that as a book and photo essay the pictures within are more powerful when viewed as a complete work. The images for "New York Is" seem more standalone to me. Personally, I seem to gain more each time I look through 'The Americans' and while these pictures are of note I would not say they are important. I feel the article is slightly carried away with the discovery of the pictures and biased because of the association with the New York Times. (How forward looking they must have been at the time to hire Frank just before he published his masterpiece and at a time no one else would touch him!) For me the power of Frank's work is that it is his own personal uncompromising vision - and the work shown here seems more functional to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment